Friday, October 2, 2009

Who are you? (written 03/09)


this is something I would never do for very long...
stand in front of a full length mirror
afraid of what I'll see
but a stranger told me today
that I am beautiful even if
I clearly don't think that I am
she said I should enjoy my youth
and hugged me like a grandmother I never knew
so here I stand
frowning at my reflection
when I dream I appear to be 10 years younger
so most days I barely recognize myself
yet some things remain the same
scars from childhood falls and car crashes
on my eyelid, chin, above my mouth
lips, plump, full of color, even a bit pouty
without trying to be
but in my eyes I see everything
a hopeful past, transitional present, fated future
they tell my story even if I wish to keep the book closed
to the few who can see
beyond the make-up make-believe
past the calm, ever-changing color
to dive in the depths below
is to know me
in deep waters
my beauty is alive and free
I blink
back to reality
standing here all alone
with an expression of complacency
eyes glance back at me
a voice in my head says...
Who are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment