Friday, October 2, 2009

hell (written 06/07)


I tiptoed up the stairs and found a woman sweeping
blood slowly ran down her fingertips
mumbling to herself and weeping
she was so familiar, someone I had seen before

when asked if she was alright, she cackled at me manically
the broom hit the floor as she spit in my face
bloody footprints left behind as she ran away frantically
somehow I knew she would be back

I opened a door and crept into the belly of a dim room
words written on walls with human waste
1000 old books in the bed of a library’s tomb
ripped pages defecated on and burned to death all over the floor

in the corner there was a strange little man standing on a chair
eyes closed, hands clasped, chanting words unfamiliar to me
there was a monkey swinging back and forth from his hair
suddenly, he opened his eyes and they were as black as the night sky

he jumped off the table and kicked me in the shin
the monkey jumped on my back and pounded me with little fists
I tried to throw him off, but dirty teeth found their way to my skin
he bit me again and again before he scampered off out of sight

the midget man smacked me across the face
he yelled obscenities and stared at me with nothing but empty sockets
tugging at my coattail he finally asked how I found this place
I shrugged and expressed that I had lost my way

he shoved book after book at me and told me to open them
dropping them into the human waste filled floor
I tried to read the pages but the room was too dim
huffing and puffing he finally grabbed a torch off the wall

nearly catching my pants on fire he gave me light
but page after page was blank, nothing but scorched paper
stubby fingers slammed a book shut, putting the author’s name in sight
confused because the named etched deep in leather was my own

all of them, each and every one had my name on the cover
not understanding why, I asked him what all of this meant
was it because I had a passion for literature, because I was a book-lover?
with an eerie grin he shook his head no


he asked me to think about it again and then again
and rubbed his rough finger against my wrist
open empty gashes diagonal across my skin
I cried out full of fear, full of confusion

tears tried to find a place in my empty eyes
but I could not cry
heart no longer beating, lungs no longer breathing
is this what happens when you die?

my new friend winked and I saw him disappear
doors in every direction, but every single one was locked
a cold chill ran up my back and then nothing but fear
there was no way out, I was trapped

surrounded by the books that I never wrote
walls full of thoughts never put to paper
I look up to see bloody fingers on my throat
and realize that the woman from outside was me

hopes and dreams burned away
locked inside with myself in my own personal cell
a million words but nothing to say
lost inside my mind in my own personal hell





















No comments:

Post a Comment