Saturday, October 3, 2009

Regina Spektor protects me.


What a pleasant, cool Saturday afternoon,
driving down Lovers Lane.
Not feeling much like a paramour or a brawler
but a born-again cynic finding irony in the street name.


Regina Spektor starts to sing to me,
"Suppose I never ever saw you"
"Suppose we never ever called"
"Suppose I kept on singing love songs just to break my own fall"
"Just to break my fall"
"Just to break my fall"
"Break my fall"
"Break my fall"


Just as my voice grew louder, unable to not sing along,
I belt out "All of my friends say of course it's gonna get better."
"Gonna get better..."

Somewhere in my second or third trailing "better",
I see a vehicle like yours.
It passes by slowly and the mystery man within waves at me.
For a moment I thought it was you.


Then I remembered that...


I am here.
You are there.
I don't know you,
but you know me.


So I did the only thing that I could do.


I kept on singing love songs just to break my own fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment